Welcome to the third episode of Calm After The Storm, a podcast that explores various themes of survivorship and how each speaker has thrived. This podcast is hosted by Amy Syed, Founder and CEO of Findyourhcp.com. In today’s episode, we chat with Nneka MacGregor and Shalleena about violence against women, how they overcome it and the important work they’re doing now.
- 1:35 – A little bit about Nneka and Shellina today
- 3:42 – Deep diving into Nneka’s childhood
- 11:31 – Dealing with Abuse (Nneka)
- 14:19 – Modelling what love is for Nneka’s children
- 19:06 – Shellina’s upbringing
- 24:40 – Seeking shelter (Shellina)
- 27:29 – the healing continuum
- 36:16 – post-traumatic growth and consent
- 46:21 – declarations, not stories
- 51:00 – dedication for trans folx, Black and indigenous peoples
Nneka MacGregor is Executive Director of the Women’s Centre for Social Justice, better known as WomenatthecentrE. She is a survivor and started the organization as a way to channel her anger, disappointment and energy at systems that were fundamentally broken. She and Shelleena, mobilize survivors, who are the true experts, to use their lived experience to bring about change, so that others don’t experience the trauma they have endured.
Nneka and Shelleena can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and www.womentatthecentre.com
Information shared in Calm After The Storm podcast can be graphic in nature. We recommend you review the details of our podcast before tuning in. We appreciate you tuning in and we hope that the story shared with you today is inspirational and helps to get through tough times that you may be facing. For additional information or support, please visit 15minutesaday.ca